Yes Jim. The wind might be blowing in the right direction but the boat certainly has not landed.Jim wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 12:34 pm I don't expect it to be over even when a decision is finally made. There will then be a further period of uncertainty while clubs consider legal challenges. It will only be over when a Barrow team kick a ball in a league match again - wherever and whenever that may be!![]()
The issue of legal challenges and where they might come from is an interesting question. Personally I probably side with those that think it less likely that you'll see a rash of writs. The cost is obviously one factor but there are others. If the Premier League, EFL and NL can demonstrate that they have considered all options and have produced a solution that is consistently applied across the Leagues then it will make it more difficult to attack.
I also think that legal challenges would be more likely in a null and void situation. The idea that you'd take the NL to court for positively choosing a solution to end the season rather than one that abandons it would be difficult to sustain (after 80% completion) and would only really be tried by clubs who would suffer as a result.
So why would for example Notts County issue a writ? Null and void is gone and irrespective of whether you go PPG or weighted PPG they dont get higher than 3rd. Only 2 teams are scheduled to go up from the NL in any season so on what grounds would you litigate? At the other end Fylde and our friend Dave would have the same problem. If he's smart his argument will need to shift away from what's going on above Fylde and more towards the issue of promotion from the NLN/NLS. But he then has four very hungry teams gunning for him.
I'd be surprised if we got away without somebody trying the legal route but I dont think there'll be a queue to get into the High Court. The key as has always been the case, though not always the perceived wisdom, is to keep the solution simple, consistent and within the rules. The most thing about the latest views are that they seem to fit these criteria and therefore may actually fly.
Lawyers are not my favourite group of people generally speaking, but I do detect that there have been legal hands shaping this issue and that the solutions we are now beginning to see look like they've been if not crafted by lawyers then certainly influenced by them. For our sake I'm glad of that and it may be yet another reason why you might not see too many legal challenges.