EFL Safeguarding?

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Alhosk
Silver Member
Posts: 1483
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by Alhosk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:14 pm

blue nige wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 pm
Adam29 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:09 pm Hartlepool and Grimsby have also posted similar so it’s certainly not a club decision
That doesn't make it right though !but Stockport aren't? so it's definitely our club's interpretation!
MisterPleasant wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:49 pm I noticed that Stockport have also introduced the rule.
Stockport have.

User avatar
McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 11321
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by McMark » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 pm

Maybe the club could section off an under 14 crèche area within the ground where they could safely watch the game with properly vetted stewards safeguarding them.

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7135
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by blue nige » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:24 pm

Alhosk wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:14 pm
blue nige wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 pm

That doesn't make it right though !but Stockport aren't? so it's definitely our club's interpretation!
MisterPleasant wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:49 pm I noticed that Stockport have also introduced the rule.
Stockport have.
Stockport have that's not what one of their fans is saying!

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7135
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by blue nige » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 pm

McMark wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 pm Maybe the club could section off an under 14 crèche area within the ground where they could safely watch the game with properly vetted stewards safeguarding them.
Mark why? the club have made this decision but can't see how they've arrived at this decision but let's see how they explain it ( I won't hold my breath) personally I think it's an appalling decision made by someone out of their depth!

mr_grey
Veteran Member
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by mr_grey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 pm

blue nige wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 pm
McMark wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 pm Maybe the club could section off an under 14 crèche area within the ground where they could safely watch the game with properly vetted stewards safeguarding them.
Mark why? the club have made this decision but can't see how they've arrived at this decision but let's see how they explain it ( I won't hold my breath) personally I think it's an appalling decision made by someone out of their depth!
It appears to be all clubs are reviewing safeguarding rules because EFL are asking them too. Wasnt safeguarding one of the reasons for saying no academy yet?So why only blame Barrow

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7135
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by blue nige » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:07 pm

mr_grey wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 pm
blue nige wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:30 pm

Mark why? the club have made this decision but can't see how they've arrived at this decision but let's see how they explain it ( I won't hold my breath) personally I think it's an appalling decision made by someone out of their depth!
It appears to be all clubs are reviewing safeguarding rules because EFL are asking them too. Wasnt safeguarding one of the reasons for saying no academy yet?So why only blame Barrow
You're probably right but when you make a decision I.e. risk assessment etc. it has to be valued on risk etc ( before you ask I'm qualified on risk assessments) but common sense has also to be applied as I said how can we make this decision when allowing 2 sets of fans to risk clashing BUT our club/ police carry on regardless, JUST NO CONSISTENCY if we make decisions they surely have to be justified or what kind of society are we now in where people in certain positions are petrified of making a wrong call so make draconian decisions! sad ,must apologise Stockport are implementing this as well but some of their fans aren't aware I've sent them a link !

mr_grey
Veteran Member
Posts: 740
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by mr_grey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:17 pm

blue nige wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:07 pm
mr_grey wrote: ↑Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 pm
It appears to be all clubs are reviewing safeguarding rules because EFL are asking them too. Wasnt safeguarding one of the reasons for saying no academy yet?So why only blame Barrow
You're probably right but when you make a decision I.e. risk assessment etc. it has to be valued on risk etc ( before you ask I'm qualified on risk assessments) but common sense has also to be applied as I said how can we make this decision when allowing 2 sets of fans to risk clashing BUT our club/ police carry on regardless, JUST NO CONSISTENCY if we make decisions they surely have to be justified or what kind of society are we now in where people in certain positions are petrified of making a wrong call so make draconian decisions! sad ,must apologise Stockport are implementing this as well but some of their fans aren't aware I've sent them a link !
All EFL clubs appear to be tightening up on safeguarding requirements Maybe Barrow are trying to play catch up .Fans should have been made aware before season tickers were put on sale

Ilford Mouse
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by Ilford Mouse » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:21 pm

I wonder what the EFL's reasoning is for this apparently arbitrary age limit? What else is it judged to be an appropriate age to do? Surely it has to be open to a legal challenge, particularly being introduced this close to the start of the season with junior season tickets already sold and with no prior warning. Would junior season ticket holders be able to claim a refund due to a change to terms and conditions being made after purchase?
I became a regular attending with mates from the start of secondary school aged 11 as neither of my parent where interested in football. At the time football was the be all and end all but by age 14 it was competing with music and girls. If I hadn't had the previous 3 years as a regular at Holker Street perhaps I wouldn't have got the same attachment.

bluebird90
Veteran Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by bluebird90 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 am

From an alternative perspective; there’s a situation where adults are meeting children at games and involving them in their silly TMF fantasy.

Given that the town has had issues with sex offenders and county lines drugs, I would be very wary about who my child is meeting up with and what they’re doing.

BigBarrowFan10
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by BigBarrowFan10 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:40 am

bluebird90 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 am From an alternative perspective; there’s a situation where adults are meeting children at games and involving them in their silly TMF fantasy.

Given that the town has had issues with sex offenders and county lines drugs, I would be very wary about who my child is meeting up with and what they’re doing.
So you're saying that those fellas are sex offenders and drug dealers? Have you any evidence of this? As that is some accusation

beachy01
Veteran Member
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 am
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by beachy01 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:50 am

bluebird90 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 am From an alternative perspective; there’s a situation where adults are meeting children at games and involving them in their silly TMF fantasy.

Given that the town has had issues with sex offenders and county lines drugs, I would be very wary about who my child is meeting up with and what they’re doing.
Another alternative perspective is the adults go to pubs to meet up and drink, the children seek them out to live out their TMF fantasy?? The TMF dont exist, they havent since the 80s

bluebird90
Veteran Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by bluebird90 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:36 am

BigBarrowFan10 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:40 am
bluebird90 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:14 am From an alternative perspective; there’s a situation where adults are meeting children at games and involving them in their silly TMF fantasy.

Given that the town has had issues with sex offenders and county lines drugs, I would be very wary about who my child is meeting up with and what they’re doing.
So you're saying that those fellas are sex offenders and drug dealers? Have you any evidence of this? As that is some accusation
It’s not an accusation. It’s making a point that there’s issues for parents to be aware of. Any adult that is meeting up with children at a football match in an unofficial capacity is very strange if you ask me.

Holkerbird
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:27 pm
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by Holkerbird » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:40 am

A shame for kids who don't have an adult interested in football to take them.
My dad was a big rugby man but at the age of 7 I preferred the proper game. I used to go on my own or with kids from the street and have stayed with it ever since.
I hope common sense will prevail.

beachy01
Veteran Member
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 am
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by beachy01 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 am

Holkerbird wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:40 am A shame for kids who don't have an adult interested in football to take them.
My dad was a big rugby man but at the age of 7 I preferred the proper game. I used to go on my own or with kids from the street and have stayed with it ever since.
I hope common sense will prevail.
totally agree

blue nige
BarrowAFC Veteran
Posts: 7135
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Antarctica
Contact:

Re: EFL Safeguarding?

Post by blue nige » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:55 am

Holkerbird wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:40 am A shame for kids who don't have an adult interested in football to take them.
My dad was a big rugby man but at the age of 7 I preferred the proper game. I used to go on my own or with kids from the street and have stayed with it ever since.
I hope common sense will prevail.
Well said Elaine but unfortunately going by what's happened over the years at our club sometimes this doesn't apply especially when implementing rules for Away fans and Home fans!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stand By Me and 18 guests